Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Washington Black Book Review

Washington BlackWashington Black by Esi Edugyan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

One doesn't happen upon a book like this more than a few times in a reading history, especially of contemporary literature. As other readers have said, I had trouble putting the book down at the end, realizing that it was either time for me to move on, or to start again at the beginning. Esi Edugyan has an uncommon feeling for language, so I was not only bound to the book for the unfolding plot, but for the poetry, the imagery, the unspoken glimpses of something beyond our common understanding. This is a book that cannot be absorbed in one reading because of the many languages it speaks, of mystery, of death, of fateful coincidence.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment